WHAT TO LOOK FOR
Tips and what to look out for in order to protect the youth.
What is Child abuse & neglect?
- Physical injury (not necessarily visible) of a child.
- The failure to give proper care and attention to a child, leaving a child unattended where the child's health or welfare is harmed.
- An act of acts involving sexual molestation or exploitation whether physical injuries are sustained or not.
- Impairment of a child's mental or psychological ability to function.
- Credible evidence that has not been satisfactory refuted that physical abuse, neglect or sexual abuse occured.
How Do I report child abuse & neglect?
To make a report, call 301-909-2450. Be prepared to give the following information:
- The name and home address of the child or caregiver
- The present location of the child
- The approximate age of the child
- The identity of the individual or individuals responsible for abuse or neglect.
How can i help?
- Learn the Facts! 1 in 10 children are abused before their 18th birthday. Over 90% of them know their abuser.
- Minimize the Opportunity Eliminate or reduce isolation, one-on-one situations to reduce risks of abuse.
- Talk About It Have open conversations with children about our bodies, sex, and boundaries.
- Recognize the Signs Know the signs of abuse to protect children from further harm.
- React Appropriately Understand how to respond to risky behaviors and suspicions or reports of sexual abuse.